Friday, November 02, 2007

THINGS WE DO WHEN WE FALL IN LOVE (2007, JAMES LEE, A+)

This is my comment in Bioscope Webboard:
http://www.bioscopemagazine.com/smf/index.php?topic=678.30


FILMS SEEN ON THURSDAY 1 NOVEMBER 2007

1.PHANTOM LOVE (2007, Nina Menkes, A+)

I decided to watch this film for the second time, and it never makes me feel bored.


2.THINGS WE DO WHEN WE FALL IN LOVE (2007, James Lee, Malaysia, A+)

I like the naturalness in this film, though I prefer the unnaturalness in BEFORE WE FALL IN LOVE AGAIN (James Lee, A+)


3.THE SONGS OF EH DOH SHI (2007, Supamok Silarak, Thailand, A)

This film portrays the refugees’ plight very powerfully, and without sentimentality.


4.881 (2007, Royston Tan, Singapore, B+)

I like some ideas in this film very much, though I feel detached from the overall feelings in this film.


MY FEELINGS:

--One funny coincidence in VILLAGE PEOPLE RADIO SHOW is that the names of some main characters resemble the names of the important people in the Thai arthouse film circuit—Chalida, Pimpaka, Uruphong, Panu.



ตอบคุณ FILMSICK

สัตว์อีกตัวที่ปรากฏกายใน PHANTOM LOVE คือม้าสีขาวค่ะ

4 comments:

celinejulie said...

I just want to add that Supamok Silarak also directed VIOLET BASIL (2005, A+), which is a very great film about ethnic minority in Thailand.

celinejulie said...

CORRECTION: I just check the year of VIOLET BASIL and it is listed as 2004, not 2005 as listed above.

Anonymous said...

I believe it was no coincidence that Amir used those names!

celinejulie said...

Hahaha :-)