Thursday, February 07, 2008

"THE HOUSE" IS ONE OF MANOTHAM THEAMTHEABRAT'S MOST FAVORITE FILMS

I am overjoyed that Manotham Theamtheabrat, one of my most favorite critics, chooses THE HOUSE (2007, Monthon Arayangkoon) as one of his most favorite films in 2007. You can read Manotham’s top ten list of 2007 in the Thai magazine FILMAX.

I am also glad that Black Forest, a friend of mine, chooses CRY IN SILENCE (2006, J. G. Biggs) as one of his most favorite films of 2007. You can read Black Forest’s comment in Thai here:
http://blackforests.blogspot.com/2008/01/cry-in-silence-2006-j-g-biggs.html

CRY IN SILENCE is my most favorite film of 2007, and THE HOUSE is my most favorite Thai feature film of 2007. I have to confess that during the past month, I used to wonder if I was the only person in the world who chose THE HOUSE as one of his/her most favorite films of 2007. None of my friends chooses THE HOUSE. But now I know that at least Manotham Theamtheabrat also chooses this horror film.

Coincidentally, both CRY IN SILENCE and THE HOUSE are about true cases of family members killing each other.

THE HOUSE might not be a good film, but I love it a lot because of many reasons. I was drawn to the film since the beginning, when a character poses a question, “Why do some women hurting other women?” The film seems not to answer this question or pay real attention to it. But this question seems to hint since the beginning that THE HOUSE might be my kind of film – film about hatred, unreasonable hatred. Why do we hurt other people without reasons? That’s the question I would like to see elaborated in other Thai films, instead of just preaching that we should love other people. That kind of thing doesn’t need to be taught in films. We should know it already.

I don’t fully understand THE HOUSE. THE HOUSE also seems to question why some family members who love each other so much turn to kill each other later. I’m not sure if THE HOUSE provides some definite answers to this question. But it doesn’t have to answer. I already love this film with all my heart just because it seems to be interested in this question.

I copy the poster of CRY IN SILENCE from Black Forest’s blog.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2304/2248731008_cf8bfbdafc_o.jpg





2 comments:

black forest said...

เผื่อพี่จิตรอยากจะได้โปสเตอร์ CRY IN SILENCE เก็บไว้ดูเล่น ก็เลยโหลดโปสเตอร์ CRY IN SILENCE ที่มีขนาดใหญ่กว่าเดิมอีกนิดนึงมาให้

http://img182.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=55146_CRY_IN_SILENCE_122_192lo.jpg

celinejulie said...

ขอบใจน้องอ้วนมากๆเลยค่ะ นอกจาก CRY IN SILENCE จะเป็นหนังที่พี่ชอบมากที่สุดในปี 2007 แล้ว โปสเตอร์ของหนังเรื่องนี้ก็ติดอันดับหนึ่งในโปสเตอร์ที่พี่ชอบมากที่สุดในชีวิตเช่นกัน พี่ชอบมากๆที่โปสเตอร์นี้ให้พื้นที่ 3/4 ของโปสเตอร์เป็นความมืดสนิท และโปสเตอร์นี้ก็สื่อความรู้สึกเจ็บปวดทุกข์ทรมานออกมาได้ดีมากๆ ไม่รู้เหมือนกันว่าใครเป็นคนออกแบบโปสเตอร์นี้