Sunday, November 09, 2008

RAY LANGENBACH (A+++++++++++++++)

PERFORMERS OR PERFORMANCES I SAW IN ASIATOPIA TODAY

1.Ray Langenbach (USA/Malaysia, A+++++++++++++++)
This one scares me a lot. It begins by Langenbach talking about the “giving” of the performer and the “not giving back” of the audience and he also talked about the repeated errors of politicians while he kept on breaking glasses in the space near where the audience sat. I tried to move away from Langenbach as far and as fast as possible because I didn’t trust him and I was afraid I might be injured by those broken glasses. Later, he invited each of the audience to weigh him/herself before stepping in an elevator which would bring the audience to see the next part of the performance. I found it hard to decide whether to step in the elevator or not. I was very afraid of the artist and what he might do to the audience. Later, I found out that my friend also felt very afraid, too. After that, the dark elevator took us to the ground floor and we found someone holding a huge mirror to reflect our own images and lots of vehicles releasing carbon monoxide into the elevator.


2.Ying Mei Duan (China, A++++++++++)
The artist tells us about her own solo exhibition in the year 2015. She describes it in details about what will be shown in the seven rooms in the exhibition. She doesn’t talk fluently. And I think it is the intention of the artist to talk like that. The difficulty in her talking may have some meanings in it. Her teachers include Marina Abramovic, Birgit Hein, and Christoph Schlingensief.


3.THE JUNGLE BOOK (Richard Streitmatter-Tran, Vietnam, A+++++)
I am very glad to participate in this performance by helping the lovely artist connect some pieces of black thread which the artist uses to connect between various points on the wall of the room and a few rings on his mouth. Someone described this performance as very sadist/masochist.

The artist’s blog is here:
http://www.diacritic.org/blog/



4.Lena Eriksson (Switzerland, A)


5.Marilyn Arsem (USA)
I think I didn’t watch her performance long enough.


--------------------------------

Gao-eey-mee-panak told me that there’s a website with a lot of information about Nezaket Ekici.

The website is here:
http://ekici.aeroplastics.net/index.php

The website also has short video clips of some of her performances, including:

1.BODY OF SILENCE (2001, Nezaket Ekici, Berlin)
http://ekici.aeroplastics.net/index.php?title=body_of_silence

2.EVOLUTION (2005, Nezaket Ekici)
http://ekici.aeroplastics.net/index.php?title=evolution
I like this one a lot.

3.NATIONAL ANTHEMS (2006, Nezaket Ekici)
http://ekici.aeroplastics.net/index.php?title=National_Anthems
“She sings the Turkish national anthem using the melody of the German national anthem and vice versa to illustrate a new empathic understanding of cultural integration.”

4.SCREAMING FEATHERS (2006, Nezaket Ekici)
http://ekici.aeroplastics.net/index.php?title=Screaming_Feathers

--This is a photo of her performance called BLIND. She had an extreme difficulty breathing in this performance.
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3183/3015180099_72b4607422_o.jpg





2 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

It sounds like fun.

Why two blogs?

celinejulie said...

1.This one is bilingual (English and Thai), but the wordpress one is almost English only.

2.When I started the wordpress one a year and a half ago, I thought that I might still blog in Thai a lot. That meant the two blogs would look very different. Then I found myself having less and less free time, so I rarely have time to blog in Thai now, and the two blogs look almost the same.

3.I decide to keep the wordpress one for the time being, because I always fear that one day blogspot might malfunction or something like that, and all my information may be gone within a second. So I think it is safer to have another blog at wordpress.