Monday, February 23, 2009

RE-APPRAISAL

This is my comment in Girish's blog:
http://www.girishshambu.com/blog/2009/02/strombolian-films.html

--These are the films which I had't loved much in my first viewing, but "after a few years" I found that I really loved them in my second viewing:

1.LES CHOSES DE LA VIE (1970, Claude Sautet)
2.GOLDEN MARIE (1952, Jacques Becker)
3.THE LEFT-HANDED WOMAN (1978, Peter Handke)
4.L'ENFANCE NUE (1968, Maurice Pialat)
5.MAD DOG AND GLORY (1993, John McNaughton)
6.MOONSTRUCK (1987, Norman Jewison)
7.VAN GOGH (1991, Maurice Pialat)
8.DEATH OF A TEA MASTER (1989, Kei Kumai)
9.SERIE NOIRE (1979, Alain Corneau)
10.THE SKY IS YOURS (1944, Jean Gremillon)

In my case, I started becoming a film addict in 1990's by falling in love with "strange" or "outrageous" films, especially films made by Derek Jarman, Peter Greenaway, David Lynch, Luis Bunuel, or Pedro Almodovar. So I didn't appreciate much some films which are "not strange", especially films made by Sautet, Becker, Pialat, or Gremillon. However, after a few years I find that I am able to enjoy greatly the latter type of films. I guess my life experience and my film knowledge (or film sensitivity) gained during these years may be the factors.

As for the case of THE LEFT-HANDED WOMAN and DEATH OF A TEA MASTER, I guess my physical condition during the watching might be a factor, too. I felt these films were too slow, and I felt very sleepy in my first viewing of them. So before I went to see them for the second time, I had had enough sleep and had drunk some coffee. This time I didn't felt sleepy, but I felt they were so sublime.


--The follwing films are the films which I saw only once and didn't love instantly, but after a while I realized that it might be because I went to see them with "wrong expectations" or because I just didn't know how to appreciate the specific styles of the films. I believe I may love these films much more if I have a chance see them for the second time:

1.THE BEAUTIFUL WASHING MACHINE (2004, James Lee)
2.CALM PREVAILS OVER THE COUNTRY (1976, Peter Lilienthal)
3.CLEAN SLATE (1981, Bertrand Tavernier)
4.NEW BLOOD (2002, Cheang Pou-soi)
5.RIZAL IN DAPITAN (1997, Tikoy Aguiluz)
6.SILENCE, WE'RE ROLLING (2001, Youssef Chahine)

When I was watching THE BEAUTIFUL WASHING MACHINE, CALM PREVAILS OVER THE COUNTRY, and SILENCE WE'RE ROLLING, I felt that they were very different from any films I had seen before. I didn't know how to adjust my feelings, emotions, thoughts, or wavelength to respond correctly to these types of films which I was not accustomed to. But when I had a chance to see ALEXANDRIA...NEW YORK (2004, Youssef Chahine) and BEFORE WE FALL IN LOVE AGAIN (2006, James Lee), I found that I greatly enjoyed them, and I think it is partly because I knew in advance what to expect from the films of these directors.

Some articles also made me realize I may have missed something in the films I saw. I went to see NEW BLOOD, hoping it would be very scary and exciting like most horror films, but it wasn't. After that, I read some reviews (including Olaf Moller's) which praised this film's "bleakness", so I realized I had had wrong expectations for this film. RIZAL IN DAPITAN is one of the first Filipino films I saw about ten years ago. It didn't impress me much at that time. But after I found that this film is listed in Noel Vera's list of 100 BEST FILIPINO FILMS, I realized that I was too young when I saw it.

--Special case 1:
In the Bruce Bailie's retrospective in Bangkok in 1999, I felt so-so when I was watching Bailie's films for the first time. But after a few days, I went to see these films for the second time, and I felt ecstatic. I guess my first experience of his films had changed my wavelength, so that I could enjoy his films in the second viewing.

--Like Corey Creekmur, I didn't like any Westerns at all when I was a child, and I still try to avoid them until now, though I love THE SHOOTING (1967, Monte Hellman) and SERAPHIM FALLS (2006, David Von Ancken).

--Though critics can convince me to re-watch some films that I didn't like because I might have overlooked some important things in it, this reason does not work for me every time. I know I have some personal problems with Yasujiro Ozu's films, so I'm not going to see them for the second time, because I am sure I will never be able to really love them.

--Special case 2: Strombolian music videos.
When I was a teenager in 1990, I bought a pirated videotape containing both Vanilla Ice's and Laurie Anderson's music videos in the same tape. I couldn't enjoy Anderson's music and her videos at all, so I taped something over them and kept only the Vanilla Ice's section in the tape. Several years later, I deeply regretted what I had done in 1990.

2 comments:

Frank Partisan said...

I'm intolerant of movies with too many special effects and technology. No gimmicks for me.

You will be fooled by trailers. I found bad trailers, are often good movies.

celinejulie said...

Yes, I also found that many bad films have bad trailers because they want to lure the masses. The trailer of DOOMSDAY (2008, Neil Marshall) makes the film look as if it was a dumb stupid action movie directed by Uwe Boll, but in fact DOOMSDAY is one of the best of 2008. The trailer of BRIDGE TO TERABITHIA (2007, Gabo Csupo) makes it look as if it was a boring fantasy movie, but in fact the film is a very touching coming-of-age movie.