Tuesday, April 07, 2009

GETTING USED TO SILENT FILMS

This is my comment in Jesse’s blog:
http://memoriesofthefuture.wordpress.com/

I think I may need to see these two films again in the future. I saw them about ten years ago, and they made me feel very sleepy. Maybe I was not ready for silent films at that time. But I just watched DR. MABUSE THE GAMBLER (1922, Fritz Lang) and fell in love with it, so I think now I may be ready to watch or re-watch silent films.

Judging from my feelings now, I much prefer NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE (1979, Werner Herzog) to Murnau’s version. So I totally agree with your sentence-- “I’ve realized recently that sometimes the value of watching so-called “canonical” films has less to do with watching a great film than the exhilaration of witnessing seeds be planted that will only fully flower in later, sometimes much better films.”


Some trivia: If I understand it correctly, the seeds planted by Murnau’s NOSFERATU may also flower in at least two experimental films—THE HIERONYMUS – DEATH DANCE 6 (1989, Michael Brynntrup, Germany) and MUSPILLI (2004, Stefan Popescu, Australia). I guess these two films may be influenced by Murnau’s NOSFERATU.

-------------------------------------------------

This is my comment in Bioscope webboard:
http://www.bioscopemagazine.com/smf/index.php?topic=2150.0

เจอยุงกัดที่โรงหนังสยามเหมือนกัน โดยเฉพาะเวลานั่งตรงที่นั่งใกล้ๆห้องน้ำ แต่ยังไม่เจอปัญหานี้ตอนไปดูที่สกาล่าพูดถึงโรงหนังสยามกับสกาล่าแล้ว ก็เลยนึกขึ้นมาได้ว่าไม่เคยไปนั่งที่นั่งหน้าๆของสองโรงนี้มาเป็นเวลานานแล้ว เพราะโรงหนังสองโรงนี้ดูเหมือนแทบไม่มีปรากฏการณ์คนดูเกือบเต็ม (ในรอบที่เราไปดู) มาเป็นเวลานานแล้ว ถ้าจำไม่ผิด ครั้งสุดท้ายที่เราไปนั่งที่นั่งแถวหน้าๆในโรงหนังสกาล่าก็คือตอนที่ฉายเรื่อง BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY (1989) จำได้ว่าทรมานมากๆ ต้องแหงนคอดูอย่างรุนแรง เพราะจอมันใหญ่มากๆเวลานั่งแถวหน้าๆ


http://www.bioscopemagazine.com/smf/index.php?topic=71.2250

สำหรับเรื่องประตูแห่งกาลเวลานั้น เราก็พบว่ามันร้องเกือบทุกครั้งที่เราพกร่มไว้ในเป้ แต่ก็มีอยู่ประมาณ 5 % ที่มันไม่ร้อง ตอนแรกก็สงสัยอยู่เหมือนกันว่าทำไมมันไม่ร้องทุกครั้ง แต่พออ่านความเห็นของ eak early แล้ว ก็เลยเข้าใจว่าบางครั้งมันไม่ร้องเพราะอาจจะตั้งค่าไว้อีกแบบนึง

No comments: