Monday, June 01, 2009

SOME EERILY TRUE DREAMS

My friend just wrote about some eerily true dreams in her facebook, so I sent an e-mail to her to share my experience. I decided to post my e-mail in my blog, too. I think maybe some of you might have this kind of strange experiences, too.

My eerily true dreams can be divided into two groups. The first groups are the dreams/nightmares about some crimes which will happen in the future. In early 1990’s, I had a nightmare about a murder in a kindergarten. A few years later, I saw a photo of a corpse in a kindergarten published on the front page of a newspaper, and I was shocked, because I knew I had seen this image before in that nightmare.

After that, sometimes when I read crime news in newspaper, I found that the events described in the news were like what I had seen in my dreams a few days before. But my dreams are quite useless. Usually, what I saw in them are very vague. I only saw someone killing someone, but I didn’t know their names, the exact place where it will occur, when it will occur, etc. So I prayed to any sacred beings who might hear me that you should stop giving me this kind of nightmares if I can’t use them to prevent the bad things from happening. I think my prayer is answered, because I haven’t had this kind of nightmares again for many years.

The second group of my true dreams are the dreams which show me some scenes from the films I will see in the next few days. This happens quite often to me, and I don’t have problems with this kind of dreams. I think I first had this kind of dreams in 2001 or 2002. The latest one happened to me on Wednesday night. In that dream, I quarreled a lot with my mother about my homosexuality. On Friday, I watched a Thai short film called MAHJONG, which is about a lesbian who has a problem with her mother, and I found that the film strangely corresponds to my dream. I believe things like this happen to me because many things in this world have “wavelengths”, and I can pick up this kind of wavelengths from time to time.

6 comments:

Vespertine said...

Your first group of dreams are very scary. I have never dreamt something like that. But i have Dejavu a lot.

So i tend to believe the concept of another reality like in Richard Bach's novel - ONE, which i read when i was a child. and now i understand why i love the movie about Doppelganger and why i really love The Double Lives of Veronique.

celinejulie said...

It's good that you don't have nightmares like that. In fact, I think I may unintentionally exaggerate the fact when I used the word "sometimes" in my e-mail. In fact, as far as I can remember now, I might have only three nightmares which turned out to be true, though these true three nightmares kept me worried for many years.

celinejulie said...

--I didn’t know about Richard Bach’s ONE before. It seems interesteing. Sometimes I think the alternate reality might exist, maybe on some other planets. The reason why I think like this is because I notice that in many of my dreams, I saw the places which are partly similar to the real places in my real life, but are partly different at the same time. For example, I live in a six-floored apartment building in my real life, but in many of my dreams I found myself living in an eight-floored apartment building. So I guess maybe there is an alternate reality in which I live in an eight-floored apartment building and I can get a glimpse of that alternate reality through my dreams from time to time. However, this theory of mine doesn’t make me fond of the film PASSION OF MIND (2000, Alain Berliner, C+), which seems to correspond to my theory. Hahaha.

--After I wrote about my scary nightmares, I started to remember that at that time I had to invent a theory to give me a peace of mind. Though I might be able to see a murder in advance, I don’t believe that it is a thing which is inevitable or cannot be prevented, because there are also many nightmares which don’t turn out to be true. So I invented a theory that maybe:

1.98 % of my dreams/nightmares are caused by the indigestion in my stomach or something like that. Hahaha.

2. Two percents of my dreams/nightmares may predict “something which MAY happen in the future” not “something which MUST happen in the future”. Among these two percents, one percent turns out to be true; one percent turns out not to be true, because the person I saw in my dream changes his/her mind or because of other factors.

I don’t know if my theory is true or not, but I choose to believe in them because it gives me a peace of mind. I think all of us are capable to choose to do or not to do anything at any moment, and those choices of ours can change the future or can improve the future.

Vespertine said...

Your comments are very interesting and give me smile as always.

About PASSION OF MIND, i would like this film more if the director changed the ending. I love Demi Moore in this kind of film, she looks very sensitive like Michelle Pfeifer but the ending made the film go from A+ to C-. It is very hollywood way that they cannot understand the beauty of mystery.

I always remember Passion of Mind becuase i bought it from Look-Meaw and watched it when i was Junior student at Chula. Then one day, my teacher, who was a part of the cenzorship board, talked about this film in Film Theory and Criticsm class.

No one knowed this film but me. But she decided to.....explain the ending to the whole class and said "you all should see this film, it will available in theatre in the next month" Ha ha. Who would see this when she already spoiled the ending? It is so surreal to me.

Vespertine said...

and i'm not sure whether i told this story to you yet. That when i was a child, i tried to control my dream because i got an idea from Nightmare on Elm Street part 3. Whenever i had a nightmare, i tried to said to myself (in my dream) that it was just a dream!

What happens was, i woke up.....but it just woke up in another dream. It was more scary. I think that i could control my dream but in the end the dream just tricked me.

I remember that after i watched Nightmare on Elm Street part 2, when i went to sleep, i must put the doll around me (Teddy Bear, too) and thought that it would protect me from the monster. What a silly idea.

celinejulie said...

I still put my teddy bears around me when I go to sleep every night. It just makes me feel good. :-)

I just noticed that Alain Berliner wrote the script for THE RED SIREN (2002, Olivier Megaton, F).

Talking about PASSION OF MIND reminds me of the film SHATTERED IMAGE (1998, Raoul Ruiz, A), which also concerns a woman who can't separate dream from reality, and this film also seems to leave no mystery at the end. But Raoul Ruiz handles the film so well that I don't mind its clear ending. :-)