Wednesday, August 05, 2009

RECOMMENDED DOCUMENTARY DVDS

Someone asked me to recommend some documentaries. So this is my suggestion.

Recommended Documentary DVDs

(in alphabetical order)

1.FROM THE JOURNALS OF JEAN SEBERG (1995, Mark Rappaport)

2.GREY GARDENS (1975, Albert Maysles + David Maysles + Ellen Hovde + Muffie Meyer)

3.LAND OF SILENCE AND DARKNESS (Werner Herzog)

4.THE LAST BOLSHEVIK (1993, Chris Marker)

5.MAN WITH A MOVIE CAMERA (1929, Dziga Vertov)

6.OUR DAILY BREAD (Nikolaus Geyrhalter)

7.PALMS (1993, Artour Aristakisian)

8.SHERMAN'S MARCH (1986, Ross McElwee)

9.S21: THE KHMER ROUGE KILLING MACHINE (Rithy Panh)

10.VIDEOGRAM OF A REVOLUTION (1992, Harun Farocki + Andrei Ujica)

4 comments:

Boat said...

Great list krub!
I wish you would give us more...

celinejulie said...

I think you should also share your list of favorite documentaries, too, no matter whether they are available as DVDs or not.

The documentary I wish I could see now is SOIS BELLE ET TAIS-TOI (1981, Delphine Seyrig). I just knew about this film from Mubarak Ali. It looks very interesting.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076733/

Boat said...

Umm... I love documentaries in general so it's hard for me to pick.

I'll give you 5 that come to my mind at the moment after looking at your list.

- Time Indefinite (Ross McElwee)
- Homework (Kiarostami)
- How to Live in the German Federal Republic (Harun Farocki)
- The Sky Turns (Mercedes Álvarez)
- Eadweard Muybridge: Zoopraxographer (Thom Andersen)

celinejulie said...

I haven't seen any of them. Thanks very much for your suggestions.