Monday, August 12, 2013

THE PURGE (2013, James DeMonaco, A+30)

 
THE PURGE (2013, James DeMonaco, A+30)
 
What I’m going to write does not concern this film at all. Hahaha.
 
There are many things I like in THE PURGE, but I guess many people might have written about some good things in this film already. So I’m going to write about what this film makes me think about, though it doesn’t concern this film at all.
 
This film unintentionally reminds me of my own experience during the Songkran Festival in Thailand. For the past 20 years or so, I have had to stay in my room during the Songkran Festival, because I extremely hate being thrown water at by strangers without my permission. I only go outside the building at 23.00-07.00 hrs or so to go to buy food and other necessary stuff at 7-Eleven during that period of the year.
 
I have always hated Songkran since I was a little kid. So the kid in THE PURGE unintentionally reminds me of my own feelings—to be born into the world or the country full of traditions that I don’t support, but I have no choice except enduring these traditions in order to survive. I am too poor to go abroad during Songkran.
 
(The Songkran Festival is not a bad thing in itself, but there are too many Thai people who don’t respect other people’s rights or privacy to travel dryly.)
 
When will the traditions I hate end? I don’t know. I just know that I’m now eagerly awaiting THE PURGE 2.
 
Jason Blum is now going to be one of my most favorite film producers. I like many films he produced, such as:
 
1.INSIDIOUS (2010, James Wan)
 
2.LAWLESS (2012, John Hillcoat)
 
3.PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 3 (2011, Henry Joost + Ariel Schulman)
 
4.THE PURGE
 
5.SINISTER (2012, Scott Derrickson)
 

No comments: